Skip to main content

I got a call from my neurologist yesterday...

I was amazed to get home and find that I had a message from my VA neurologisgt. She said that I will have a follow up with a Dr. in Iowa City coming up. She said that the Sroke specialists are in Iowa City and she would just feel better if she knows that they have done everything the  can for me. 

I called her back and spoke to her receptionist. I had a real good chat with the receptionist. She said that she has never met me, but cannot wait to meet me. She said that my story has affected  many lives of people in Des Moines VA. When you think about my situation, it does seem that God divinely reached down and protected me. For instance, if the church still had the old house, I would probably would not have gone home when I did. The old house had a main floor and everything else (indluding the only bathroom) was on the 2nd floor. The house we have now, everything is on the main floor, which allowed me (I think) to go home early. Also, Dr. Benjamin was not SUPPOSED to be in my room when she was. She just HAPPENED to be outside my door. When she saw what kind of shape I was in, she ordered another CT Scan at the VA. Not only that, but Dr. Piper, who did my surgery, usually does not like to take VA patients. But, that day he was took me. Why? Other than God was looking down on me, I don't know. My recovery was expected by everyone to be at least 6 months. I was back at work in 4 weeks!  Truly God hass been good to me. Now, He may choose to be silent in your case. That does not diminish what He can do, but in my case (as I have often said to my wife) God still would have been good regardless of what happened to me, but boy am I glad that thing worked out for me.


Popular posts from this blog

Making a BIG, but somewhat hurtful, decision...

A few years ago I was presented with the opportunity to come back to Stratford, Iowa, to First Baptist church, as their pastor; for those of you who have followed this blog for some time, FBC in Stratford was my first pastorate. Let's just say I prayed about it as I was jumping at the opportunity. The church has a parsonage, so I could live there and not have to worry about a houe payment; and I needed to slow down, and this was a part time position (which, as a side note, allowed for me to get a greater disability from the VA than when I was working full time with St. Croix Hospice...) We love Stratford, and absolutely love the church; the people are wonderful and accepted us, again, with open arms. This was, for me, the perfect position: I get to pastor a church I LOVE, I get to do life with people I LOVE, and I have already had the opportunity to do weddings and baptism services for kids (adults now) that I have known their entire lives. IT IS GREAT. The longer I have been here,

A stroke survivor's memory is tricky sometimes...

Tomorrow I will preach the funeral for a dear friend of mine. He was the definition of a selfless person. I truly appreciated all that he did, but, when I was meeting with the family on Wednesday a memory came to me suddenly and I was suddenly overcome with emotion. Let me back up a little bit: After my stroke in December, 2008 my license was revoked for obvious reasons and it took me some time and practice before I was able to drive again. I finally got my license back in February, 2009. But, shortly after I got my license back the reality of the severity of my stroke became evident: my stroke had seriously impacted the PONS area of my brain stem, and therefore, a lot of my nerves were negatively impacted. One of the nerves that was damaged was the nerve that controls my eye movements; my left eye would would twitch, at times almost uncontrollably, and that made it really difficult to drive, particularly at night. That brings me to the memory that left me so emotional. Fast forwar

Blood pressure problems...again, scratch that, always!

I'll be honest (side note, why do pastor's always feel compelled to start a personal story with "I'll be honest", how often are we not? Anyway, I digress), I have not made a habit of taking my blood pressure as often as I should, but I started again, recently, and to my horror my blood pressure was pretty consistently 150-160/80-90 at night. Normally it is pretty good in the morning, because I take my blood pressure medicine in the moring. I messaged my doctor and he reminded me that my blood pressure will fluctuate during the day, depending on activity, stress level, time of day, how tired I am, etc. I understand all that, but I get worried because the one thing Dr. Piper stressed above all else is make sure my blood pressue is under control, because I only have one vetebral artery left and I don't want that one to blow! I don't think I need to be on different blood pressue medicine, as these seem to work, in general. My question is, for those who have ha